If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Friday, April 18, 2014

Finances on Friday



Blueberry muffins made with low priced Aldi blueberries.
actually baked these last week but I never got around to posting then 

my neighborhood has an addition-wide yard sale every spring.  My children have been cleaning out their homes and bringing their cast-offs here to get ready for it.  I don't need most of their junk but I was interested in this red plastic crate that one of them brought over. 

it fits perfectly on a shelf in our fridge and is so useful to hold all those extra condiments that tend to get lost in the very back.
it can be slide in and out, almost like a drawer. 

Our recent electric bill was the smallest ever in this house.  I think the switch from an electric range to a gas range has a lot to do with it. But I am not sure why it just showed up now, as we got the new range in December.  

Cashed out Swagbucks for $25 in Paypal and almost have enough to do it again.  

JJ's birthday quilt was sewn up completely with fabric, thread and batting from my sewing stash.  

not much shopping to blog about because all our recent groceries have come from Aldi but I do have a stack of coupons ready for Walmart and CVS that I hope will net some bargains.  You never know though....

Cut my husbands hair- I should say buzzed his hair. It is not my favorite thing to do but it is thrifty and quick and it makes him happy. 

Baked up a batch of banana nut muffins with some very ripe bananas and also a pan of cinnamon rolls. Both are in the freezer for Easter morning breakfast.  


Extra cooking this week as I get ready for Easter.- I made 4 pie shells and they are waiting in the freezer.  I also made a tray full of twice baked potatoes that are waiting in the fridge to be reheated.  

continued to bake all our bread in 2014.


Found these 2 Ethan Allen vintage nutmeg maple pieces at my favorite thrift store. The end table was $30 and the bigger piece was $45. I am thrilled with both of them and so is my husband. I will not be refinishing them and plan to keep them.
 My parents have Ethan Allen furniture pieces similar to these and so did my some of my aunts and uncles.  They just look and feel like home to me.
inside the drawers are the Ethan Allen stamp


We will be having our family egg hunting and coloring and a big meal to celebrate Easter on Saturday.
There will be at least 16 and possibly 19 here. 
To add extra seating for dining, I used a folding table that is same size as our dining table and put them end to end. Counting high chairs and the 2 chairs in the sewing room I have not moved yet, there is seating for 16 now.
The tables needed covered and I thought about buying fabric or vinyl table cloths but went with a thriftier and easier option. In that garage sale pile, I pulled out a full size flat sheet, off white with an tan stripe. It was the perfect size to cover both tables after I cut it lengthwise down the middle and machine hemmed those 2 raw edges. I think it was probably quicker to do that little bit of sewing than it was to go shopping. 
The brown doilies were all crocheted by my mom.
The white bunnies are thrift store treasures and the brown ones were made by a friend many years ago.

just using what I had makes for a natural neutral table and I am happy with it.

I hope you all are having a pleasant and thrifty week too.  

Linking up with Rebecca at Renaissance 



10 comments:

  1. I buzz my husband's hair, too, and can't stand it! But, like you said, it saves money, so I do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table arrangement is so nice. Great that everyone can sit together. We always have to be spread out in the dining room, kitchen, etc. Using the sheet was a good idea. What a wonderful find on your Ethan Allen pieces. You will probably have them forever. I do the bin thing in my fridge, too. It is so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That red tray is perfect for the fridge. What a good use for that! Those Ethan Allen pieces look so nice. It's so hard to find some nice furniture- and at a very nice price! I know you'll enjoy those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always cut all of my men's hair. Saves a ton of money and so convenient to do whenever you need to! Love your looooong table waiting for Easter dinner! I can almost hear the laughter and conversation around it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cut my hubbys hair too.. buzz it all off! lol! Fast & easy and saves lots of $$! I've been doing it for 20+ years! Happy Easter!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the convenience of just pulling out a tray or basket and having all the things at hand. I think you'll love this tray in your fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your table and decorations on it. The sheet tablecloth worked out perfect (and cheap!) What a great buy on those Ethan Allen pieces! I would have paid that much for pieces not as good quality. You seem to be in the right places at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And your table looks normal and believable. I see all of these tablescapes in blogland and think to myself " but where does the FOOD go" ??

    My grandparents had Ethan Allen too. Not all over the house...alot was built or unfinished then painted but the good pieces were Ethan Allen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cut a bunch of hair last week too- I really dislike that job and procrastinate on it until I can procrastinate no longer. This past hair cut, I really cut Judah's beautiful blonde head way too short and now he looks too big-boy. *sniff*

    Hope you had a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS-- :LOVE the furniture! What a find!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐