If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Thrift shopping- online


Shopping is not something I love to do. Lately I have only been brick and mortar shopping for groceries at Aldis, sale things at CVS and just a few other things at Walmart and Joann's. I don't think I have even been in a thrift store in a month.

In October, I bought just a few things online. The first 3 are used books bought on half.com. Books there can often be bought for less than $1 + the $3.99 shipping.
I bought this one because my friend Tammy at My Corner of the Prairie said her grandson likes it so much.  She was right about it being a little boy pleaser. My grandson thinks it is great too. Thank you Tammy and Brad.
We watched a 25 year old home video of my children a few weeks ago. One of our sons had been at kindergarten that day and was trying to recite something about  " a snoring granny and a dreaming child"   In the video, he was thinking so hard to remember all the lines.
I did not know what it was so I googled it and found this book, The Napping House. 
I read it as soon as it came in the mail and I am sure my grands will like it as much as their uncle did. 

I ordered this book as Jilly at Nutmeg and Linen blogged about it. 
Of course I want more elegance, order, beauty and joy, who doesn't?

And........

My very favorite find
My mom made this very same sampler for her sister, my Aunt Bernice. I have wanted one and have been looking on EBay and Etsy for years. I finally found a kit, still in its factory package and it appears to be in perfect condition, on EBay just before we went to the hospital.
I'll be stitching on this later today- I need to get out some hoops and embroidery hoops first, and I may need to finish off the edges of the linen before I stitch too.  The stitching part is pretty simple.  
It is the verse that I think is so special 

“Overheard in an Orchard"
Said the robin to the sparrow,
“I should really like to know,
Why these anxious human beings
Rush about and worry so.”
Said the sparrow to the robin,
“Friend I think that it must be,
That they have no Heavenly Father,
Such as cares for you and me.”      ―by  Elizabeth Cheney in 1859

9 comments:

  1. Great finds! I need an embroidery project to work on myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shara, thank you. I like them all so much. if you can't find a project locally, look on Ebay. Jane Snead samplers are great too and are also sold on Ebay. There are also so many free patterns on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad and I are so glad that Gavin is enjoying Harold and his purple crayon! There are many more Harold books that you might be able to find at your local library. Brad got several for his birthday.
    I love The Napping House (well, most anything by Don and Audrey Wood). Watch the illustrations and notice how they are dark when they're all sleeping, but get lighter as they each wake up. I used that book a lot when teaching preschool. Another fun one by the same authors is King Bidgood's in the Bathtub. I bet Gavin would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harold was a favorite in our house too! How do you get to the nutmeg and linen blog? It says permission denied when I tried. : ( Thanks, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will check out that site, half.com. Not that I need any more books, but you just never know, LOL.
    Glad I read this post, as I fixed the problem....at least for today with my blog. Little weird things have been going on as of late. Comments are off because I go to publish them, and all comments disappear.

    So glad your hubby is doing so well so soon. Keeping him in prayer.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so understand what you mean about not being a shopper. I don't like to go and browse in stores too much because I don't really need anything and if I go in a store, I always think I need something new! LOL. I only go in thrift stores if I'm not in a hurry and I'm passing by or I want to find a particular book to read. I didn't even know they have shopping at thrift stores on line. That is something. I don't think we have any of that in Canada but you never know.

    The books you've selected look good and that sampler looks so sweet. I'm sure it will look lovely when finished.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love old books. There is something about them that makes them 'loved'. Like someone's treasure I can take as my own. Finding that sampler is a treasure too! I got a couple of pieces of needlework after my grandmother died that she had started and not finished. They are such a treasure and I have them on my WIP list. Glad your husband's recovery is going so well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐