If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

If you do stuff, stuff gets done.......

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cream, butter and cows















This is 2 gallons of farm fresh milk. 
Stepson Clint and his wife have a small farm.  Beside chickens and eggs,  they also have 2 milk cows and we are fortunate that they share milk with us. 

They can pasturize the milk and they can run it through a separator.
But, I like the whole milk with the nice layer of cream on top.    If you look close, you can see that the cream is on the top and the milk is on the bottom. 

There are lots of ways to use the cream.  One of my favorites is this biscuit recipe from King Arthur Flour. 
The biscuits are made with flour, cornstarch, some leavening and cream.  There is no cut in butter or shortening because the cream has a high fat content.  They are so fast to make up this way.  I made about 3 recipes at a time,  then freeze them all to bake off as we need them.
\ 


homemade butter!

This cream also makes really nice butter. 


Some the milk we will drink.  I will probably make a large batch of pancakes and freeze them to use as we need them.  Homemade pancakes are much better than Eggos. 


The cows that make this rich delicious milk.  The cows names are Cindy and Creamy. 

7 comments:

  1. That butter looks so good and I bet it tastes really good on those biscuits. Now Creamy is a very fitting name. ~smile~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum-Yum, farm milk, good cream and real butter! You guys are lucky duckies! RoRo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I think that just looks so fun and neat to use the milk, cream and butter that is so fresh!

    So, how do you heat the pancakes that are frozen. Toaster, microwave?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you with the fresh milk!! I love cows. These look so sweet. I miss living on a real farm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look like Guernsey cows, or Jerseys, I'm not as up on cows as I used to be. But they both make the richest milk ever! I grew up on a hobby farm, my dad had two milk cows, laying hens, chickens for meat and a pig for butcher every year for about ten years. Those were the days. I still love the old fashioned ways best. Those biscuits sound delish! We made butter every few days as well as cottage cheese and I even got a stint at milking when my dad had to work out of town.
    Have a lovely Mothers Day.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! How great to be able to get this fresh milk with cream. They never have it on the milk here at the farms that I know of. That butter looks so heavenly! I want to stop in for a biscuit smothered in your homemade butter. :-)

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    P.S. - Sounds like you had a great Make Do and Mend project...sewing or no sewing. I am featuring one with baking next Monday so it is not always sewing. Just making do with what you have in this commercial world. It feels good too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you had a nice mother's day! thought about you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by today ❤️
Because of so many spam comments, I’m forced to moderate all comments. I know it’s a bother. I’m sorry but y’all don’t want to read their marketing or trash either. I’m sorry 😐